Primary Treating Physician
The Role of the Primary Treating Physician
Responsibilities of the treating doctor include:
- Deciding what type of medical care you'll get for your injury or illness.
- Determining when you can return to work.
- Identifying the kinds of work you can safely do while recovering.
- Writing medical reports that will affect the benefits you receive.
- Referring you to specialists, if necessary.
The information provided is not intended to supersede or be used in lieu of the “notice of benefits” handout that employers are required to provide to workers. For State Fund policyholders, this notice is in the New Employee's Guide to Workers' Compensation (English/Spanish) - e13286 [448 k].